Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Wise-Hearted Women







Ex 26:1-2




Moreover thou shalt make the tabernacle with ten curtains of fine twined linen, and blue, and purple, and scarlet: with cherubims of cunning work shalt thou make them. The length of one curtain shall be eight and twenty cubits, and the breadth of one curtain four cubits: and every one of the curtains shall have one measure.

Exodus 35:25 -26
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. And all the women whose heart stirred them up in wisdom spun goats' hair















I am the thankful owner of a brand new Sewing Machine! It was my Christmas gift from Mom and Dad. I have never had the privilege to sew the first stitch on any sewing machine, although "sew" many of my close friends and relatives sewed my whole life. I don't if anyone really trusted clumsy me with sewing! I can remember being warned against getting my fingers sewed together! It's no wonder I never gave sewing a try until now. To be honest, I'm still a little nervous about my first sewing project. I'm afraid that I won't know how to sew. There is a lot of complicated terminology in sewing. Selvage, wrong sides together, etc. Why, oh why didn't I take Home EC. in College?






It is because of my lack of know-how that my mom came over and stitched the cutest pair of curtains for my kitchen window. I helped her cut the fabric and measure the window, but that is as far as I assisted. Since, I was pretty busy with the rest of the kitchen remodel, mom created a pair of curtains for under $4.00. They look Amazing.








I was reminded of our recent sewing project while reading in Exodus this week. Wow, think of all those curtains that God ordered for the Tabernacle of the Wilderness. He was so specific in just the way they should be pieced together and exactly what fabric and color each should be. What a privileged it must have been to weave and sew those curtains. Can you imagine sewing a straight stitch on a seam that was as tall as a building? And all without a sewing machine. I don't believe the fabrics would have been very easy to work with textures ranging from fine-twined linen to goats skin! I don't think I would have been chosen to work on that special project!









I watched mom sew my little kitchen curtains and she had to stop and think, measure and remeasure just to make both panels match. It took "sew" much thought and brain power. Sewing these very important curtains in the Tabernacle required a team of extra dedicated workers. This team had to follow God's pattern down to the exact last stitch. I am excited to read that God used women! The Bible says that Women who were "Wise Hearted" worked on possibly the most beautiful drapes that have ever been.










I may not be on the sewing squad, but I want to be one of those wise-hearted women that is always available for any project where God could use me!



1 comment:

  1. Bec, don't feel bad about not taking Home Ec. I took it for four years and only know how to sew a straight stitch. I think most of what I learned about sewing came from watching Mammaw. I loved to sit at her knee and watch her sew. Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete